Thursday, December 09, 2004

Why don't more people use this rule of thumb?

Okay. I keep hearing these lame red state vs. blue state arguments. Red states have lower IQ (yeah, well, that's been debunked!) , higher divorce rates/marital problems (debunked here via Instapundit), etc.

I'll give you a big hint. Any of these "statistics" that have Utah ranking extremely low are almost certainly not worth listening to. I'll admit to being biased (I've been born and bred Mormon, for the most part), but I don't think anyone will argue with me that a) Utah has a whole heck of a lot of Mormons, even if they're branching out a bit; and b) Mormons are really good with things like work ethic, strong families, importance of education (listened to any of President Hinckley's speeches lately, or for the last ten years?), etc.

So when I was told that Utah ranked last in this IQ thing, that immediately set up a red flag. "Gosh," I thought, "where could that data be coming from? Because it's wrong." And it was.